“Resilience in teachers is key for creating quality classrooms and schools. The opportunity for becoming resilient originates in how an educator makes sense of irritants, interruptions, and unexpected events, because interpretation dictates actions. By cultivating resilience, teachers can fulfill the intentions that brought them into the teaching profession.” Elena Aguilar
In this episode, Kelly and Sean invite Elena Aguilar to our show for a little twist of conversations. Elena Aguilar “Elena has trained thousands of educators across the United States and abroad in transformational coaching. She is the author of four highly acclaimed books: The Art of Coaching, (2013) and The Art of Coaching Teams, (2016) Onward: Cultivating Emotional Resilience in Educators (2018) and the Onward Workbook (2018 and her newest book is being released in August, Coaching for Equity.). She is a regular contributor to Edutopia and ASCD’s Educational Leadership, and she was a blogger for EdWeek Teacher for many years. “
Kelly first met Elena at a workshop she attended in 2016.Support Teaching Python
- Diversity | Python.org — The Python Software Foundation and the global Python community welcome and encourage participation by everyone. Our community is based on mutual respect, tolerance, and encouragement, and we are working to help each other live up to these principles. We want our community to be more diverse: whoever you are, and whatever your background, we welcome you.
- 4 Practices to Promote Equity in the Classroom | Northeastern University — In educational institutions especially, there is a desire among students, teachers, and administration alike to embrace this diversity and create equity in the classroom. Read on to learn about what equity in the classroom is, why it’s relevant, and some of the best practices educators can use to promote it.
- Amazon.com: The Art of Coaching: Effective Strategies for School Transformation eBook: Aguilar, Elena: Kindle Store — Hands-on resources for new and seasoned school coaches This practical resource offers the foundational skills and tools needed by new coaching educators, as well as presenting an overview of the knowledge and theory base behind the practice. Established coaches will find numerous ways to deepen and refine their coaching practice. Principals and others who incorporate coaching strategies into their work will also find a wealth of resources.
- The Art of Coaching Teams: Building Resilient Communities that Transform Schools: Aguilar, Elena: 9781118984154: Amazon.com: Books — The missing how-to manual for being an effective team leader The Art of Coaching Teams is the manual you never received when you signed on to lead a team. Being a great teacher is one thing, but leading a team, or team development, is an entirely different dynamic. Your successes are public, but so are your failures―and there's no specific rubric or curriculum to give you direction. Team development is an art form, and this book is your how-to guide to doing it effectively.
- Onward: Aguilar, Elena: 9781119364894: Amazon.com: Books — Onward tackles the problem of educator stress, and provides a practical framework for taking the burnout out of teaching. Stress is part of the job, but when 70 percent of teachers quit within their first five years because the stress is making them physically and mentally ill, things have gone too far.
- Onward Workbook: Aguilar, Elena: 9781119367383: Amazon.com: Books — The Onward Workbook is a collection of tools and strategies that help teachers banish the burnout and cultivate true resilience. Keyed to the framework presented in Onward, this companion piece augments the text with practical exercises, coaching, and step-by-step walkthroughs of beneficial practices.