In this week's episode, Kelly and Sean discuss one of the tools that we like to use in class: the BBC micro:bit. Thanks to the instant feedback and physical/tactile nature of the device, this inexpensive little IoT device makes the process of learning Python more intuitive for students. It's also an easy starting point for those teachers who are new to coding.
There are many advantages to using a physical computing device in a school setting and we will walk you through a quick introduction to the micro:bit and our preferred sequence of lessons with Python on this platform. We will also talk about some add-ons that can extend the capabilities of this remarkable little device to allow your students flexibility and creativity with their newfound skills.
As with any teaching tool, there are always some best practices to consider to maximise learning and positively impact your students. Kelly and Sean will touch on some tips and tricks to use in your classroom.
- Code With Mu — A simple Python editor for beginner programmers. Works with the micro:bit directly.
- From Flowcharts to Python Code | 101 Computing — Kelly's favorite resource for turning flowcharts into Python code.
- Microsoft MakeCode for micro:bit — The other primary coding platform for the micro:bit
- The EduBlocks Project — A block-based coding platform using Python for the micro:bit
- Adafruit CRICKIT for micro:bit ID: 3928 - $29.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits — The Adafruit platform to extend your micro:bit
- ElecFreaks Micro:bit Breakout Board ( Octopus:bit) - ElecFreaks — A breakout board for the micro:bit that gives you more GPIO to play with.
- Amazon.com: Yahboom Robot Kit for Micro:bit Robotics STEM Kits for Kids to Programmable BBC Microbit Robots Toy Car with Tutorial Tracking Bluetooth IR Modules DIY Scientific Education (Without Micro:bit Board): Toys & Games — A micro:bit-based robot kit. Warning - software provided is mixed English and Chines language. Can be difficult to understand.
- Amazon.com: Adafruit NeoPixel Digital RGB LED Weatherproof Strip 60 LED-1m: Home Improvement — RGB lights that work with the micro:bit to create MILLIONS of colors.
- enviro:bit – Pimoroni — Air and weather, color, light, and sound sensors. Plugs right into the micro:bit.
- Includes micro:bit MINI.MU Glove Kit – Pimoroni — Adorable micro:bit gloves with speaker and more.