Shooting the "Stuff"
January 29th, 2021
41 mins 27 secs
About this Episode
A grab bag of topics this week with Kelly and Sean. From using NLTK to summarize speeches by civil rights leader Martin Luther King to plotting Parler data from the Capitol incident on Jan 6 to WiFi-enabled washing machines.
Kelly and Sean spend the afternoon discussing the things that we've been watching and learning about this week. No guests, no specific topic. Just hang out with us and talk about all things Python, teaching, and learning.Support Teaching Python
- US Capitol Siege, tools and data | By Patr10tic — US Capitol Attack Tools Fighting to preserve democracy in America
- Real-World Python: A Hacker's Guide to Solving Problems with Code: Vaughan, Lee: 9781718500624: Amazon.com: Books — You've mastered the basics. Now you're ready to explore some of Python's more powerful tools. Real-World Python will show you how. Through a series of hands-on projects, you'll investigate and solve real-world problems using sophisticated computer vision, machine learning, data analysis, and language processing tools. You'll be introduced to important modules like OpenCV, NumPy, Pandas, NLTK, Bokeh, Beautiful Soup, Requests, HoloViews, Tkinter, turtle, matplotlib, and more.
- Natural Language Toolkit — NLTK 3.5 documentation — NLTK is a leading platform for building Python programs to work with human language data. It provides easy-to-use interfaces to over 50 corpora and lexical resources such as WordNet, along with a suite of text processing libraries for classification, tokenization, stemming, tagging, parsing, and semantic reasoning, wrappers for industrial-strength NLP libraries, and an active discussion forum.
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. I have a Dream Speech - COLOR - YouTube — Experience the iconic I have a Dream Speech by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. on August 28, 1963 in this 4K and colorized version. Thanks to the advancement in AI/artificial intelligence, old black and white film can be converted into higher resolutions and also produced into color.
- Modern APIs with FastAPI and Python Online Course - [Talk Python Training] — (The course Sean took to make a simple API for students) FastAPI is one of the most exciting new web frameworks out today. It's exciting because it leverages more of the modern Python language features than any other framework: type hints, async and await, dataclasses, and much more. If you are building an API in Python, you have many choices. But, to us, FastAPI is the clear choice going forward. And this course will teach you everything you need to know to get started. We'll build a realistic API working with live data and deploy that API to a cloud server Linux VM. In fact, you'll even see how to create proper HTML web pages to augment your API all within FastAPI.
- Raspberry Pi Pico RP2040 with Loose Headers ID: 4883 - $5.00 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits — The Raspberry Pi foundation changed single-board computing when they released the Raspberry Pi computer, now they're ready to do the same for microcontrollers with the release of the brand new Raspberry Pi Pico. This low-cost microcontroller board features a powerful new chip, the RP2040, and all the fixin's to get started with embedded electronics projects at a stress-free price.
- Codye App | Dario Roa — Codye allows you to present code in more than 180 languages and 80 themes. Available on iOS, iPadOS and macOS.
- Sean's New Washing Machine: GE® 4.8 cu. ft. Capacity Smart Front Load ENERGY STAR® Steam Washer with SmartDispense™ UltraFresh Vent System with OdorBlock™ and Sanitize + Allergen - GFW650SPNSN - GE Appliances — Sean's new washing machine. There's a lot of registered trademarks in that title! Built-in WiFi Start, stop and monitor your laundry from anywhere while receiving real-time notifications and updates