Interview with Al Sweigart
February 23rd, 2023
56 mins 1 sec
About this Episode
After years of being atop our "must-have guests" list, Kelly and Sean finally get to interview Al Sweigart, author of Automate the Boring Stuff with Python, as well as many other books and courses that help people learn Python more effectively
Join us as we talk about everything from our favorite teaching examples, the process of book writing, fostering cats, and more.Support Teaching Python
- Invent with Python — Learning to program makes you a smarter and more capable human being. Rocket science uses programming, but programming isn't rocket science. Whether you're a student preparing for a software career, an office worker buried under spreadsheet files, or a hobbyist who wants to make video games, the Python programming language is an excellent start in the world of programming. Get started for free with the online copies of Al's books!
- Automate the Boring Stuff with Python, 2nd Edition: Practical Programming for Total Beginners: Sweigart, Al: 9781593279929: Amazon.com: Books — Learn how to code while you write programs that effortlessly perform useful feats of automation! The second edition of this international fan favorite includes a brand-new chapter on input validation, Gmail and Google Sheets automations, tips for updating CSV files, and more.
- Python Programming Exercises, Gently Explained , Sweigart, Al, eBook - Amazon.com — Many books and websites have aggressive programming challenges for top coders. However, this book is for the rest of us. We want challenges that improve our coding skills, not leave us confused and discouraged. Other tutorials and books have taught you the basics of Python, but the 42 programming exercises in this book let you practice what you've learned. Selected for their simplicity, these programming problems include gentle explanations of the problem, the prerequisite coding concepts you’ll need to understand the solution, and helpful templates to put together the programs if you have trouble starting from scratch.
- Amazon.com: The Big Book of Small Python Projects: 81 Easy Practice Programs eBook : Sweigart, Al: Kindle Store — If you’ve mastered basic Python syntax and you’re ready to start writing programs, you’ll find The Big Book of Small Python Projects both enlightening and fun. This collection of 81 Python projects will have you making digital art, games, animations, counting pro- grams, and more right away. Once you see how the code works, you’ll practice re-creating the programs and experiment by adding your own custom touches.
- Beyond the Basic Stuff with Python: Best Practices for Writing Clean Code: Sweigart, Al: 9781593279660: Amazon.com: Books — BRIDGE THE GAP BETWEEN NOVICE AND PROFESSIONAL You've completed a basic Python programming tutorial or finished Al Sweigart's bestseller, Automate the Boring Stuff with Python. What's the next step toward becoming a capable, confident software developer?
- Cracking Codes with Python: An Introduction to Building and Breaking Ciphers: Sweigart, Al: 9781593278229: Amazon.com: Books — Learn how to program in Python while making and breaking ciphers—algorithms used to create and send secret messages!
- Invent Your Own Computer Games with Python, 4th Edition: Sweigart, Al: 9781593277956: Amazon.com: Books — Invent Your Own Computer Games with Python will teach you how to make computer games using the popular Python programming language—even if you’ve never programmed before!