It's not always easy to be a Python teacher. Whether it's trying to find the right words to explain something, handling severe frustration, building perseverance, or losing students while coding together, Python teachers are facing problems beyond just the code. Sean and Kelly discuss five of the things that frequently go wrong in the classroom and how we handle it.
- Helping the naturally gifted- keeping up; keeping them learning
- Developing the vocab that allows students to solve problems
- Losing students during code-alongs
- Kids stuck in Turtle module
- Getting past the frustration level - waiting on the “click”
As a special bonus, we talk about a few of the new arrivals in our classroom, including the newest LEGO Education Robot, the Spike Prime!Support Teaching Python
- Amazon.com: Adeept BBC Micro:bit Sensor Starter Kit | Microbit Programmable Starter Kit for Micro:bit with 35 Projects PDF Tutorial Book | Micro:bit and Expansion Board Included: Toys & Games — BBC Micro:bit Development Board is included. A wide variety of Sensor Modules - The best choice for learning electronics, programming and IoT. Excellent PDF Manual - 124 pages, 35 projects with detailed guidance. MakeCode and Python code are provided. Powerful technical support - Official forum, Videos and E-mail.
- LEGO® Education SPIKE™ Prime Set — The LEGO® Education SPIKE™ Prime Set is the go-to STEAM learning tool for grade 6-8 students. Combining colorful LEGO building elements, easy-to-use hardware, and an intuitive drag-and-drop coding language based on Scratch, SPIKE Prime continuously engages students through playful learning activities to think critically and solve complex problems, regardless of their learning level. From easy-entry projects to limitless creative design possibilities, SPIKE Prime helps students learn the essential STEAM and 21st century skills needed to become the innovative minds of tomorrow... while having fun!
- MicroPython on SPIKE Prime : 12 Steps - Instructables — You can code SPIKE Prime using MicroPython which is a subset of python for small microprocessors. You can use any terminal emulator to code the SPIKE Prime hub.
- pi-top  — pi-top  is a new game-changing, programmable computing device that combines digital making, coding and practical projects. With pi-top , educators, students and inventors get to design, code and make anything they can imagine using one simple, easy-to-use system. From beginner to superuser, pi-top powers your projects and brings learning into the real world.
- Amazon.com: AWS DeepLens (2019 Edition) – deep learning-enabled video camera for developers: Amazon Devices — AWS DeepLens allows developers to get started with deep learning through sample projects with practical, hands-on examples which can start running with a single click. Models trained in Amazon SageMaker can be sent to AWS DeepLens with just a few clicks from the AWS Management Console. AWS developers can run any deep-learning framework, including TensorFlow and Caffe. AWS DeepLens comes preinstalled with a high performance, efficient and optimised inference engine for deep learning using Apache MXNet. AWS DeepLens integrates with Amazon Rekognition for advanced image analysis, Amazon SageMaker for training models and with Amazon Polly to create speech-enabled projects. AWS DeepLens is easy to customise and is fully programmable using AWS Lambda.